Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wine Wednesday, Friulano

It's Wine Wednesday! WOW have I had some great wines this week, not to brag, but what the hell: Kistler Cuvee Elizabeth, 2002 Nickel & Nickel Carpenter Vineyard,  2005 Nickel & Nickel Dragonfly Vineyard, 2007 Zenato Amarone del Valpolicella, Veuve Clicquot, 2006 Swanson Rosato and a 2010 Casa Nuestra Rosado to name a few. Thanks to my friends; Jonathan, Ali, Frank and Angie. I could not just pick one for Wine Wednesday, especially since it would be hard to find all but one of them.

That being said I was recently turned on to a fabulous Italian white grape called Friulano. It's indigenous to the Friuli region in northeast Italy. The Livio Felluga Friulano surprised me with it's elegance and depth of flavors. It's in the $30 range, retail.

It has flavors of nuts and apricots with a spicy finish. There is a good balance of acidity and it went well with a basic meat and cheese tray that my friend was serving. A unique wine, good with food or on its own. As my friend "French Tony" said while sipping, "ooooooo, ees beautiful, no?" Me, "Yes! Yes! and YES!"



No comments:

Post a Comment