Tuesday, August 18, 2015

What's In Your Glass For Pinot Noir Day?

Happy Pinot Noir Day! Not that I need an excuse to drink pinot noir but I had a little fun experimenting today. I started out with a smoky, cherry Rascal Pinot Noir that I was told was the "go to" wine for Oregon wine country locals, looking for a great value.


Next up, a lovely Cuvaison, Estate Grown, full of bright red fruits, violet and a bit of spice. Two thumbs up for this moderately priced one.


While the first two might not be as easy to find, this last one is widely distributed, Mark West. The 2013 releases from California have been great so far and this one is also getting high marks in the best value category; plum, black cherry and a slightly smoky finish.


I know that wine based cocktails are becoming quite popular, although I've yet to get on board with anything other than those that employee Champagne and other things that sparkle.

A friend recently revealed he had a FANTASTIC cocktail of pinot noir and bourbon. So I thought I'd give the mix a try. After a couple of experiments with proportions, I decided the cocktail he had, must've had something else added, a splash of this or that, bitters or juice, because this didn't do it for me. If you have a good recipe, please pass it on and I'll make another attempt.

Otherwise....I'll stick with both my bourbon and my pinot.....straight up!

No comments:

Post a Comment