Sunday, August 22, 2010

Argentina's Flagships


When I think of Argentina I think of Malbec first then Buenos Aires! Malbec is a wonderful grape that is best described as being somewhere between a Cabernet and Merlot as far as taste. I just tried an '08 from Jelu Estates and it was full of black plums and spice. It filled the glass with a beautiful, deep purple color and was moderately tannic. For only $16 it gives a lot of bang for the buck!
Another grape synonymous with Argentina is Torrontes. It has become one of my favorites over the last several years. It's a great alternative to Sauvignon Blanc, a little smoother. The '09 Jelu has won some awards and there is good reason why. The nose is full of honey; the pallet is bright with white peach, lychee and slight acidity. It's another bargain at only $16!

Not only does Jelu Estates make amazing juice but also the owners are environmentally conscious. The wines are all organically grown and winery has gone "green"! No pesticides huh? I think I'll have another glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment