Thursday, April 19, 2012

Best Beignets Outside of NOLA

That was the message I tweeted to the owners of Morgans Miami after Sunday Brunch.

My friends took me to the Morgans location in midtown, after a long night at Art Walk, in the same neighborhood. We got there too late in the morning to enjoy the fresh breads and jams that they raved about en route. The kitchen was out. But the rest of the meal more than made up for that small disappointment.

Morgans has a generous amount of outdoor seating, which I prefer, but we ended up inside, upstairs in a cozy booth. It was quintessential Miami; white, clean and retro with a small splash of color (orange) from the hanging lamps.

We tried the Eggs Benedict but preferred the Frittata with mushrooms, caramelized onions, chorizo, potatoes and cheese, topped with arugula ($12). I loved that arugula and the little touch of balsamic. The French Toast is described as "pillow soft" and indeed it was. Not to mention, fabulous ($12)!

We were so hungry and the food was so magnetizing that the forks dove in before I could get my camera out...fail. The presentation was lovely, sorry I don't have evidence to share. The Beignets ($8) were last and the feeding frenzy had slowed enough for me to capture them.

They really were some of the best I've had outside of New Orleans; crisp on the outside, fluffy in the middle. However, a couple of them had the slightest taste of chicken, as if fried in the same oil....good thing we all like fried chicken. It really made me want to try Morgans Fried Chicken and Waffles, next time for sure.

Morgans calls its cuisine modern, home-style comfort food. I would agree. And comfort goes beyond the food. The service was excellent, the staff was friendly and my wallet did not take a beating, as can often happen in Miami.

Morgans Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment