Friday, June 25, 2010

Charitable Chow

Two wine dinners in 3 days! How lucky can a girl get! Last night’s soiree at The Grill Room in Coconut Point was also a benefit for Eden Florida and Autism Speaks. The chef put out a great spread heavy in protein with healthy pours of Clos du Bois Reserve wines.

Of course we began the evening with some festive bubbles and light hors d’oeuvres while perusing the silent auction items. First course was baked Grouper with toasted almonds and Limoncello cream with micro greens. The wine was a 2007 Reserve Chardonnay from Russian River Valley. I didn’t like the nose at first, woody and a bit chemical but it was nice on the pallet, even better with food and perfect with the dish! The fish had great texture and the flavors were fabulous. I would order it again in a heartbeat!

The next dish was something I would love to have again for the holidays; Cornish Hen stuffed with pork and prunes, butternut squash and cranberry sauce. Another great pairing with an ‘06 Sonoma Ranch Reserve Alexander Valley Merlot. The Merlot was blended with a touch of Malbec to add color and complexity. It drank more like a Cabernet with a peppery finish. I would like to have it again with a little more age (the wine, not me).

The final dish was a Tenderloin Au Poivre with Dijon brandy cream and a 2006 Sonoma Reserve Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. The wine filled my nose and mouth with spice and cocoa. It was full bodied and velvety! I asked for a little more, “just to be sure” I liked it, hahaha!

I have to say I was a bit relieved that there was not a dessert course. Cheers to the chef and wine reps who made the magic of food and wine pairing come to life!

No comments:

Post a Comment