Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Women's Wine Dinner: Angelina's

I enjoy getting dressed up and going out in the summer storms in Florida as long as there is valet parking! Last night's torrential downpour did not dampen the spirits of the ladies who attended this month's Women's Wine Dinner at the award winning Angelina's in Bonita Springs. We filled the bar with lively conversation, posed for photos, then filled the private dining room to capacity!

Angelina's is an Italian restaurant so the first course was appropriately enough an antipasto tray filled with cheeses, cured meats, fresh olives and marinated vegetables served with an '08 Icardi, Cortese. I was surprised to find a white wine so full of raisin! I admit that all week I was hoping maybe even praying that this next dish would be served and I was NOT disappointed: Angelina's signature Butternut Squash Ravioli. The ravioli is hand-rolled, filled with roasted butternut squash and mascarpone cheese then topped with a decadent citrus tomato butter. It was exquisitely paired with a 2007 Soave Classico, Monte Grande. "Sexy" was the best description I heard for the dish!


I was also hoping for a nice big Tuscan red and once again my desires were fulfilled with a 2007 Brancaia "Tre". A female winemaker produced this smooth gem and landed in Wine Spectators Top 100 List. The Filet Mignon it was served with had a brilliant red center and was so tender I barely picked up my knife to cut it.

The best pairing was definitely saved for last, a Vanilla-Mascarpone Cheesecake with homemade strawberry jam accompanied by a glass of Brachetto. The wine was a sparkling, pink dessert wine that went down way too easy! Thankfully the bubbles helped to dissipate the sweetness. The last course was pleasing to eye and the palet. It was one of those combinations that danced!

No comments:

Post a Comment