Friday, September 24, 2010

Don't Cry For Me Argentina

My next wine tasting trip is going to be Argentina! I just attended a Malbec seminar at Austin’s Wine Cellar with adorable winemaker Santiago Mayorga of Mendel Wines. Malbec is the signature red wine of Argentina. All of the red we tried were 100% Malbec with one exception.

We actually started with the Mendel 2010 Semillion. It was a bit surprising since Torrontes is the signature white grape of Argentina. The first things I smelled were pineapple and white flowers. I tasted them too along with a hint of spice. It’s a great wine for Southwest Florida.

The reds were outstanding! We started with a juicy 2008 Lunta that had plum, spice and lots of tannins. Next up was the vineyard's flagship Mendel Malbec (2007). Robert Parker gave it 90 points. It had big ripe fruit and was smoother than the Lunta. The ’06 Unus was next. This Malbec was blended with 30% Cabernet. It had hints of mint and vanilla and when I closed my eyes I envisioned it with lamb.

The best is almost always the last: a 2007 Finca Remota. This wine is not even available yet and was given 94 points just after it was bottled. The grapes came from a single vineyard and there are only 1800 bottles! It smelled like sweet raisins. It tasted like velvet! What a treat!

These reds ranged in price from $22-$110. They were all well worth the money and I would buy any of them! See Frank at Austin’s to get yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment