Thursday, April 14, 2011

Escargot Ecstasy

I've blogged about Sasse's previously. I obviously love the food and thought I had tried almost everything on the menu. So I'm not sure how I managed to overlook the Escargot in a creamy pesto sauce served with goat cheese toasts. I wanted to rub that sauce all over my body. It was everything I could do not to pick up that darn plate and lick it clean. It's an appetizer but it did me in for the night, in a good way!

I was at Sasse's for their monthly wine tasting (2nd Tuesday of every month). It's not your typical wine tasting. Instead of milling around a tasting table waiting for pours, we sat at tables set for dinner. The tasting is complimentary and there is a discount on dinner if you stay; everyone stayed! Brilliant way to fill up a restaurant on a Tuesday night.

The favorite at my table was Masciarelli's signature Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. It is one of those Italian wines that you can enjoy on it's own, most are better with food. It was full of blackberry and black cherry with some spice on the finish.

We tried the Valpolicella Ca Panvino from Villa Erbice next. I think it would've been great with Sasse's eggplant parm. I really liked the Cannonau Di Sardegna "Templum". It tasted green (bell peppers) and fresh, again with some spice on the finish. These wines and many on Sasse's list come from Masciarelli Wine Company. There's always something new and fun to try. But by all means, try the Escargot!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats for this tasty experience! Italy is the land of delicious wine and food, without any doubt.

    ReplyDelete