Wednesday, January 25, 2012

New Music: Eric Hutchinson

Eric Hutchinson is one of those artists; talented singer, talented songwriter, unpretentious and sadly unsung by the masses. Making the radio station rounds in hopes of getting his music heard by more people, Hutchinson stopped by 96-9 WINK-FM today. He's got a new CD coming out April 17th and gave us an acoustic preview of his new single "Watching You Watch Him"; an upbeat song about heartbreak. I can't explain it but the song feels like Texas to me, as in the state.

I really enjoyed "The Basement". Hutchinson said a bar by the same name in Massachusetts was his inspiration; a crazy dance party with music from the 40's and 50's, spun by an "older" DJ. He said it was one of those nights where you wake up the next morning and ask, "did that really happen?" If the acoustic version of that song had me dancing in my seat, I can only imagine how good it's gonna sound with a full band.

I first met Hutchinson about four years ago when he played a small Spring concert for the station. I assumed he would duck-out soon after he was done playing but he sat at a table with us in the bar, having drinks; so unassuming that people just walked by. I didn't know if it was cool or disappointing. I wanted to shout "DIDN'T YOU JUST HEAR THIS GUY???" But then again, he was followed onstage by The Script. At that time The Script was just starting to blow up in the U.S. and our audience was crazy for the Irish boys.

If you get a chance to see Hutchinson live, take it. His voice (to me) is more soulful live, than in these videos.  "Rock & Roll" is the first song that comes to mind when I think of Hutchinson. I like the second video, "OK, It's Alright With Me", because it shows more of that soulful style. Listen to the end to really get it. Newest video at the bottom







***COMMENTS: Thanks to all my Facebook friends for posting so many great comments. I would LOVE it if you could also post your comments here on this blog site. Many people tell me they posted and it never showed up. Disappointing for us both. So click comment, type your comment, check the box that says "comment as" then hit post. If a word verification box does not appear next (a scrambled word to retype) your comment did not post. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment