Thursday, March 29, 2012

Bacon Beer??

This is the final week of Blue Moon beer tastings to determine which new seasonal creation will make it into the Brewmaster's Autumn Sampler Pack. I got to taste each of the three finalists last night and cast my all important vote!

Being a wine drinker, I'm used to sniffing anything I'm tasting. Beer in small plastic tasting cups doesn't have much of a nose. However, I stuck mine in there, as best I could, out of habit. I peered up to a co-worker giving me an eyebrow raise that said, "really??"

First taste was a Caramel Apple Spiced Ale that was refreshing with a nice blend of spice, a bit of caramel and of course apple. It was smooth, drinkable and for sure invoked the tastes and feel of Autumn. The Blackberry Tart Ale was a little darker and a little sour with very distinct blackberry flavors.

The last beer was getting the most buzz; a Dark Chocolate Bacon Porter. Taste facilitators told me I would either love it or hate it but neither really applied to me. The beer was not one I wanted to sip, but drink with a big hunk of grilled meat. It was smokey with a hint of chocolate sweetness that lingered in the back of my  mouth

In the end I cast my vote for the Caramel Apple Spiced Ale. It best represented the theme of the sampler pack and to me, was the most drinkable. We'll see how my vote stacked up when the new pack is released on August 31. Blue Moon is tasting and taking your votes at places nationwide through Sunday, March 31. Be sure to get in on the fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment