Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Biltmore and Bubbly

There are certain things about me that are all girl; my love of shoes, purses, fashion and things that match.

During some spring cleaning in my kitchen and pantry, I came across boxes of dishes, tea cups and saucers; decorated with these feminine accessories. I've always wanted to use them for a tea-party, so that's exactly what I did. More on that to come.

I'm not sure that it is "proper" to serve bubbly at afternoon tea in England, however, it's improper NOT to serve it at my house; regardless of the occasion.

I decided to welcome my guests with a glass of  Biltmore Estate Blanc de Blancs. The wine is bottled in Napa Valley for the famous Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. The Chateau-style mansion screams sophistication and tradition. I could just see women in hats and beautiful dresses, enjoying afternoon tea on the lawn, back in the day (1800's). So it seemed natural to start my affair with this wine. 

My guests dressed to impress, wearing flirty high heels and fashionable hats. Some even wore gloves while sipping the Blanc de Blanc, made of Chardonnay grapes from the Russian River Valley. They were all surprised at the Biltmore label, apparently not expecting to find it outside of the estate. The wine was smooth, several girls said "like honey". Not only did I smell the honey but I tasted it. Nicely balanced with a little lemon, acidity and just a hint of yeast; the wine was perfect for Sunday sipping. I thought it went exceptionally well with my spicy crab and cucumber appetizer. The finish was pleasant, the wine passed!

Nice to know that for my next swanky soiree I can find Biltmore for a mere $25 at several major, local retailers. Give it a pour and tell me what you think. Better yet, send directions. I'll put on my Sunday Best and  taste with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment