Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A BLT With A Twist

There are a handful of restaurants/bars in my city that not only serve up great food, drinks and a good time, but that also give me great comfort. I can go in at any time, with anyone or by myself, with or without makeup and feel good. I'm hearing the theme song from the TV show Cheers,  "Where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came." We all have those places. Although I don't frequent it as much as I used to, University Grill in Fort Myers has always been there for me.

There's something almost soothing about sitting down at the bar after a long day, having someone know your drink and put it in front of you almost before you have a chance to ask. I needed that on a particular night last week. I also needed an appetizer.

Chef Eddie Vozzella happened to peak out of the kitchen at the right time; first to give me a bear hug, second to suggest his special BLT Scallops. They are a regular special that I seem to have missed out on over the years. The scallops are perfectly grilled, delicately cut in half, then filled with bacon, lettuce and tomato. The perfect bites are then placed on an herb mayo and balsamic glaze.

This dish may not always be on the menu but if you find yourself at the University Grill, perhaps before a show at the Barbara B Mann Performing Arts Hall, ask if chef can whip one up for you.

As you can see by the before and after shot on my iPhone, I didn't like this dish at all. Now if you'll excuse me while I finish licking the plate.....


No comments:

Post a Comment