Monday, August 27, 2012

Good Morning Goodness



















I woke up this morning to blustery, stormy weather from Tropical Storm Isaac. Dragging from the barometric pressure and the thought of fighting flooded roadways in to work, I willed room service to bring me a hot breakfast like the one I had at Daily Cafe in Portland, OR.

However, I'm in Southwest Florida and there is no room service.

So I found these photos closed my eyes and transported myself back a week. The Daily Cafe, in The Pearl District, was about a mile walk from my hotel downtown and well worth it.  I wish I had an entire table of people to sit with so we could each order something different and pass the plates. I wanted bites of everything on the menu but settled for the ricotta, fontina, broccolini whole grain tart, topped with an egg. A piping hot cup of Stumptown coffee in this bright, cheery space was not even an option; it was required drinking.

Daily Chef Kim Boyce is good with grains, in fact she wrote a cookbook filled with ways to incorporate them into your meals. She makes scones from buckwheat, creates her own granola and uses lots of local ingredients at the cafe. There are some regular menu items but the Daily chalkboard is where the action is. I've been told by locals that this is the best kept secret for a fabulous dinner as well. Check it out next time your in town.
(Thanks for the AWESOME tip Christopher!)

  Daily Cafe in the Pearl on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. you should have called a few people (like me) to sit at that table with you and I for one would have gladly joined your fun :) passing a few plates around :)

    ReplyDelete