Monday, June 24, 2013

Super Moon, Super Sipping

What a great weekend for watching the skies. The Summer Solstice, when the sun reaches it's highest point, teamed with a Super Moon, when the moon reaches it's lowest point or is closest to Earth.

Summer Solstice is celebrated with feasts and festivals. Mine was a feast of wine, and it was epic.  A dear friend had a solstice party that culminated in a blind tasting of more than 20 bottles. We lined them all up on his protected pool table and the fun began. As each wine was poured, guests shouted things like "old world", "young", "cabernet", etc.

The wines came from North America, South American and premier growing regions of Europe. They ranged in price from $10 to over $100. Only two were corked or on their way out. One was mine: 2008 Domaine des Huards Cheverrny Le Pessoir Rouge. It was a blend of Pinot Noir and Gamay from Loire, France. I raised my hand to say it was mine and a gentleman next to me asked if I was sure I wanted to admit it.

I said, "Yes, I'm glad I found out now instead of at a dinner party."

Take a look at some of the amazing goodies we got to try:


No comments:

Post a Comment