Friday, April 30, 2010

Salmon, Sauvignon & PInot


Funny how great minds think alike. My friend Michelle was traveling this week and talked about a great salmon recipe she came across. "Funny" I said, "I found a good one also!" Turns out we were both reading Food & Wine Magazine and were on the same page, literally. She cooked, I brought the wine! Perfect!
Pinot Noir typically pairs well with salmon and I had been dying to open the '07 Martinelli Bondi Home Ranch that's been in my cellar for the last year. Big nose, smooth, just phenominal! One problem. The two sauces that accompanied the fish were super spicey with black beans, chipotle, tomatillo, etc. And the salmon was topped with a chile-honey glaze. The Pinot Noir, as fabulous as it was, disappeared in all that heat. Thanks goodness another friend brought an '08 Cremashci Sauvignon Blanc from Chile. The crisp fruit did a much better job of cutting through the spice! Talk about an explosion of different flavors! I'm still thinking about it!
The salmon recipe comes from Bobby Flay and is in the May 2010 issue of Food & Wine! Michelle opted for jarred tomatillo's, when you read the recipe you'll understand why! Find it!! It's a keeper!!

1 comment: